Most people are turning an eye to protecting the environment, from the way they dispose of their trash to the designs they choose for their homes. If you are in the process of renovating your kitchen, you can make eco-friendly choices. The kitchen, and all the other parts of the house for that matter, should use sustainable materials that have minimal impact on Earth’s resources.
Here are some tips for an eco-friendly kitchen:
- Reface your cabinetry – Most people want to replace their old cabinetry with new versions. This will use a lot of wood, which means that more trees will be cut down. Instead of replacing all the cabinets, refacing them will provide the same new look of custom cabinets. Refacing will also strengthen and reinforce the cabinet boxes, saving money and trees in the process.
- Choose Corian or quartz countertops – These two materials are more sustainable than granite, the popular but very expensive countertop material. Granite is not a renewable resource. The added benefit of using either Corian or quartz is that they are low maintenance. They do not need sealants, which are toxic substances.
- Think about recycled materials – The use of recycled materials in your kitchen, from quartz slabs to glass tiles, presents several opportunities to make your kitchen more eco-friendly. Always check for recycled ingredients in everything that you will be buying for your kitchen.
- Create a timeless kitchen design – Longevity is part of sustainability. Your kitchen will not be eco-friendly if you need to keep updating it. Design your kitchen in such a way that it will remain stylistically relevant through the years.
- Choose efficient appliances, lighting, and hardware – Kitchen appliances, lighting, and hardware are now designed with an eye to energy efficiency. These efficient iterations will not only save on energy bills but also contribute to the environment by minimizing your carbon footprint.
In addition to preserving the environment, you can sustain the life of your appliances by covering them with Appliance Art. Choose from hundreds of vinyl or magnetic covers that you can easily apply to your fridge or dishwasher. You can even evoke environmental consciousness with covers depicting nature, such as the Leaves Texture Custom Dishwasher Cover. Custom refrigerator covers are also available in nature-themed designs.